Sunday, April 4, 2010

Where to live and best schools near Ft. Hood,TX

My Brother is in Iraq. When he comes back it looks as if he will be stationed in Ft. Hood. He has 2 kids and is looking for a area that will have good schools and be a good place to raise them. Can anyone help me steer him in the right direction.







Where to live and best schools near Ft. Hood,TX


I hope a military person sees your post and answers for you; they%26#39;d have the best advice! I don%26#39;t know much about the towns surrounding Fort Hood even though I live very close, but I didn%26#39;t want you to think no one wanted to help!



My impression is that most military personnel live in Killeen or Copperas Cove. Killeen has decent schools (don%26#39;t know about Copperas Cove). There is also a charming town called Belton that is right next to Fort Hood (east of Killeen), which also has decent schools and a small private(?) university (University of Mary-Hardin Baylor). Lampasas to the west is a nice town also, typical small town Texas. Given my choice, I%26#39;d live in Belton, but there are so many other factors that only your brother and his family can decide. You just have to go with the town that ';feels'; right. He may be more comfortable around other military families, in which case Killeen would be the right fit.



I CAN tell you that it seems that most of the Fort Hood related activity is to the south of it. I%26#39;ve driven fairly extensively along the corridor to the north of it (near Gatesville) and there%26#39;s not too many signs of soldiers.



All of these towns are quite small. Killeen is the largest with about 100,000 people. Belton has about 15,000.



Best of luck to him, and thank him for his service!



Where to live and best schools near Ft. Hood,TX


I grew up in Killeen (Go Roos!) and have a niece who still lives and teaches there. I like the neighborhood where she has bought a house, off of 190 and WIllow Springs Road, in the western part of Killeen. Maxdale Elementary and Shoemaker High School are out that way. It is close to post yet all fairly new houses.





Another area to consider is around Nolan Middle School and Bellaire Elemetary and out toward Ellison High School.





Much of what will drive his decision on where to live is where on post does he work. This whole area revolves around the military (yes, it is a HUGE employer and contractor) but I would never buy until I had lived there awhile and then ONLY if I had the intention of staying.





Killeen is your typical military town with lots of rental properties so your brother should have no problems finding a realtor to point him in the right direction. The thing I always tell folks who move to Fort Hood is get out and explore Texas- if you leave thinking all of Texas is like Killeen/Ft. Hood, you have done yourself an injustice!





Killeen is what you make it- there is more to it than pawn shops and strip shopping. Many of folks retire there plus there are lots of lakes within driving distance.





Good Luck to your brother and his family. Fort Hood is not everyone%26#39;s favorite posting but Central Texas and the Killeen area have a lot to offer for those willing to enjoy there time there.




I grew up in Killeen also! Born and raised. GO ROOS!



I now live in Belton and work in the Killeen School District. My daughter goes to school in Belton. So I am pretty versed in the area.





There is just way to much to say... Without specifics.. it would be hard to say much. Can you describe anything about what your brother may be looking for? Buy or Rent? what grade level of school (elementary, middle or high??) how close to work does he want to be?




Hello Me and my husban have been station at Fort Hood for 4 years so tell your brother when he get his orders to Fort Hood he should plan to stay here for that long. My best info for your brother if his rank is an E-4 and higher to apply for base housing, we where unable to when we got to Ft. Hood and waited because my husban was a E-1 its not that you cant apply because you can its just a longer wait. so we had to get a deposit waver to move into a house off post and let me tell you it was awful but the min. my husban became an E-4 we applyed for base housing at the inprossesing buliding we got in with in a month of applying. It make it easy for my husban to come to and from wk and you meet nice people and it makes deployment nice. http://www.forthoodfh.com Heres a good website you can send you brother also if he has kids i recomend him to go ahead to fort hood to find housing befor his family comes so that when he gets a place that the army can move him down at no cost to him. so good luck and god bless your brother




Thank you all for your answers. I am going to forward this all to my Brother. This will all be very helpful to them!!




Naqtx ,



They have a newborn and a child that is elementary age. I believe they will be stationed there for 8 years so middle schools are important also. I have no idea how far he is willing to drive but will forward this to him.




Hello:



My name is John Farris and I live in Harker Heights, TX. I have lived in the same house for over 20 years. We have a population of about 16000. The community has a Super Wal-Mart, HEB, 5 Parks, 2 swimming pools, and great walking and running tracks. We are located 5 miles east of Ft. Hood on HWY 190 (an expressway) It takes about 10 minutes to reach Ft. Hood. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at lfarris@hot.rr.com or call 254-681-3770. I would like to take this oppurtunity to welcome your son and his family, Also have pre school, grade school, middle school and High school.



If I can be of any help, just e-mail or call.



John Farris


Commander, American Legion Post 573


225 Cox Drive


Harker Heights, TX. 76548




I hope he is home by now, as I am posting this reply some months after your original request for info. But I wanted to suggest Salado. It is about a 30 minute drive from Ft. Hood and has rental as well as purchase options. It is a quaint, quiet tourist town, with a lot of appeal. Most shopping and restaurants are within walking distance, and it has easy access to I35 for commuting. If being close to post is a priority, then Salado is a little far....but if he doesn%26#39;t mind the drive, Salado is a nice alternative.




I too will be moving to Central Tx. after living in Heidelberg. Germany for twelve yrs. I%26#39;m moving with my 11 yr.old 6th grader. I%26#39;m going through a divorce and wanted to live around the area because my son still has a I.D. I%26#39;ve looked all around the Temple/Belton area and for a single mom rent prices can be a little out of my reach. I heard Cooperas Cove have small good schools. My main concern is the schools. I%26#39;m also living with relatives who are closer to Bryan/College station but, in order to live there I would have to pay out of pocket because it%26#39;s not in the surrounding bounderies of where my furniture is stored. I would appreciate any advice on this subject.




I too will be moving to Central Tx. after living in Heidelberg. Germany for twelve yrs. I%26#39;m moving with my 11 yr.old 6th grader. I%26#39;m going through a divorce and wanted to live around the area because my son still has a I.D. I%26#39;ve looked all around the Temple/Belton area and for a single mom rent prices can be a little out of my reach. I heard Cooperas Cove have small good schools. My main concern is the schools. I%26#39;m also living with relatives who are closer to Bryan/College station but, in order to live there I would have to pay out of pocket because it%26#39;s not in the surrounding bounderies of where my furniture is stored. I would appreciate any advice on this subject.


  • bloom-
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment