Sunday, April 4, 2010

Planning Fiesta visit

My husband and I will be visiting SA during Fiesta this year. We will be staying 3 nights (4/20-4/22) at La Quinta at Market Square. This is our first visit to Texas %26amp; SA. Not knowing the city, I%26#39;m wondering how safe it is to walk the street (between Market Square and Riverwalk) after dark, especially during Fiesta. Do the buses/trolleys run after dark? Also, I would welcome any opinions on the best things to do during Fiesta. I have the list of events, --what are some of the must-sees? We%26#39;re looking forward to our trip! Thanks for any and all advice %26amp; ideas.



Planning Fiesta visit


In general San Antonio is a safe place for tourists, and during Fiesta there are lots of extra security measures put in place.





That said, I%26#39;d suggest NOT staying at the La Quinta at Market Square during Fiesta. The streets adjacent to the motel will have the fiesta Carnival with it%26#39;s rides and games and noise and all of the negative things associated with kids and teenagers and carnies. In addition Market square itself has a more traditionaly blue collar celebration with Conjunto bands and and lots of beer drinking. All of these thing might be fun to visit for an hour or two, but I wouldn%26#39;t want to be smack dab in the middle of it.





Fiesta has something for everyone. A lot of the events are set up for large crowds and drinking. If you%26#39;re into that, Fiesta Oyster Bake, NIOSA, Taste of New Orleans would be suggestions. Both Taste of New Orleans and Oyster Bake feature good live music also. I like NIOSA because of all of the different foods, but I now only go if I can land a volunteer spot at one of the booths. After working my shift, I have a home base where I can hang out and not get beer spilled all over me.





Some of my favorites -





Fiesta Arts Fair at Southwest School of Art and Craft - This is a jurried art show held on the grounds with live music. It%26#39;s relatively small, doesn%26#39;t cater to the college drinking crowd.





Fiesta Pooch Parade at the Alamo Heights Swimming Pool- This is a low key free event where folks bring their pets all dressed up for Fiesta.





Cornyation- definitely an adults only parody of local and world events put on by (mostly) gay and lesbian community.





Fiesta In Blue (Air Force Musical Extravaganza)- Free event but you need a ticket. Great band music.





King William Fair - Street fair with a homegrown parade. Arts and Crafts booths and music.





Earth Day Celebration at Woodlawn Lake - Activities for kids that promote ecology. Free





Here%26#39;s the website for Fiesta - http://www.fiesta-sa.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment