Sunday, April 4, 2010

Moving to Temple/Belton/Killeen?

I%26#39;ve moved from Heidelberg, Germany after 12 yrs of living there. Divorce has forced me to move back. I have a 11yr.old 6th grader. The school district is very important to me. I%26#39;m also concern about having a nice safe neighborhood. I%26#39;ve looked in the Belton area but, rent prices can be a little pricey. Any feedback would be appreciated.





Moving to Temple/Belton/Killeen?


you might want to post this in the Belton/temple/killeen forums or just the Texas forum......you probably won%26#39;t get much response from just the Bryan forum.....just a thought...



Moving to Temple/Belton/Killeen?


Do you have a specific reason for living in that particular area? The reason I ask is that there is an outstanding school district called Midway ISD near where I live (McGregor) which is ';close'; to where you%26#39;re looking. Also, Bruceville-Eddy%26#39;s school district is well regarded, and Lorena has a very good high school. All of these are safe areas to live and within 30 minutes%26#39; drive of Temple/Belton.





Not to talk you out of Temple/Belton/Killeen area... I just don%26#39;t know it well enough to make any recommendations.




I read your other post on the Killeen/Fort Hood forum which gives that bit of info about you wanting to stay close to post so that your son can make use of his military ID.





My suggestion is Temple ISD or, if you can swing it, Belton ISD. No district in Texas is without problems but Killeen is huge and quite the mixed bag. Some have suggested Copperas Cove and Salado. I would contact the city and ask about a newcomers club. Then I would start asking people for input about the schools as well as locating rentals.





Good luck. You will find lots of folks in similar positions so don%26#39;t feel alone.




Thank you for all the suggestions on making my move. The reason I was trying to move to the Temple/Belton area was because my son still has a military I.D. I live near Bryan ,Texas but, was told I would have to pay out of pocket to move there. Military will only pay for certain areas to deliver my household goods. Unfortunately, Bryan is in the wrong direction. I was told Bryan is a nice area to live too. I will continue with my search. Wish me luck!




Okay!! Now I understand why the move to Temple/Belton/Killeen!





However... I%26#39;m not sure I understand about the military ID - my apologies, but I%26#39;m confused. My 11-year-old son has *NO* i.d. (LOL). Is it because your son was born abroad? Is he a US citizen? Sorry... I plead ignorance with how things work in the military. I%26#39;m not sure how the military ID benefits your son, or why those benefits are local to a military base. ;-) I would appreciate knowing, because that kind of thing is interesting to me.





At any rate, I understand wanting to have the military pay for it. What are the rules? Could you have things shipped to a storage unit for a month in Killeen, then move it to where you end up deciding to live? A local mover would cost much less, especially if everything was already packed up.





As far as the Bryan area goes, it is indeed a nice place, but the schools (especially in the sixth grade and up) aren%26#39;t rated too highly.





The Texas Education Agency has a website:





http://www.tea.state.tx.us/





where you can access the ';accountability ratings';. A HUGE caveat that there are many, MANY factors in deciding if a school district is ';good';, so I wouldn%26#39;t rely solely on these ratings, but they are a good place to start. Click on the ';Accountability'; button, and then the ';2006 Accountability ratings'; and you can search by school district, county, region, etc.





Another thing I would consider would be where you could find a job (in your line of work) most easily if you plan on working.





Good luck, and keep posting back!




Owl- when you are a military dependent, you have a military ID card. It allows you to use base facilities such as the PX and the hospital.




Ooooooh! Wow... that%26#39;s awesome. Thanks for letting me know!!





Alrighty then... does one have to live in a certain mile radius to use the military ID? I understand about the moving expenses, but I wondered about the ID.





(p.s. - poodleone... moved again? how is it?)




I don%26#39;t mean to answer for staysweet but many people just want to live close enough to an installation to make the drive convenient and cost effective. Thus so many retirees around any large base. Plus staysweet is apparently trying to get moving benefits as well and that is limited by mileage from certain bases.





Finally in the new house- lots of unboxing and cleaning left to do!


  • mask work
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment