Sunday, April 4, 2010

2 fun weeks in Texas

Hi!





A friend and I, ages 18 and 20 respectively, are going to Texas for a duration of two weeks in April. I live in Denmark now, but as a former citizen of Texas I want to impress my friend, showing him everything there is to see. Well, as much as we can fit into two weeks. :-)





We%26#39;re looking to have an adventurous trip, not too museum oriented, and a few beautiful wildlife trails would also be nice. We will have a car at our disposal and plan to visit the San Antonio, Austin and possibly Corpus Christi regions.





I%26#39;ve compiled this list so far:





Austin:



Enchanted Rock hiking



The Oasis restaurant (lovely place overlooking Lake Travis)



Austin Capitol





San Antonio:



Sea World, Six Flags, possibly the Aztec of the River movie theatre and Tower of the Americas restaurant. And of course the Alamo...





Corpus Christi:



Beach chillin%26#39;, jet-ski rental, USS Lexington, State Aquarium.





Is jet-ski rental in Corpus Christi even an option? I don%26#39;t know much about it, but I%26#39;ve always wanted to try out this activity.





Anyway, let me know if there are things we definitely ought to see missing from my list! I haven%26#39;t been to Texas for eight years, so I wouldn%26#39;t know. Thanks!



2 fun weeks in Texas


Check out www.wildflowerhaven.com for up-to-the-minute discussion boards about current wildflower status. You can see lots of gorgeous fields of wildflowers in the Hill Country, and if you want to make the drive to Fredericksburg, I highly recommend a visit to Wildseed Flowers, a wildflower farm with spectacular grounds. San Antonio is lots of fun, historic, lots to do - definitely take the barge ride on the River Walk. Do you like country music? You might like to go to the honky-tonk in Gruene, just outside San Antonio. Another fun thing to do is float down the Guadalupe river outside San Antonio. Personally, I lived in Corpus Christi for 3 years and didn%26#39;t care much for it - it%26#39;s a long drive, but I guess if you really want the beach....definitely go about 20 miles further, though, across the causeway to the tip of north Padre Island. And if you don%26#39;t mind a long drive to a place that%26#39;s really, really worth it - have you considered Big Bend? It%26#39;s another world. If you want info on Big Bend, let me know.



2 fun weeks in Texas


Thanks for all the suggestions, texfoolette.





I wouldn%26#39;t exactly say that hearing live country music is at the top of our priority list *winks*. However, I know it can be very much amusing and even cosy to watch, so thaks for the idea. I’m sure we’ll come across some ol’ country stage, even if it isn’t the one in Gruene.





Upon reading your post I found a website describing Big Bend. I decided that we’ll definitely have to take it into consideration. The 10 hour drive in each direction from Austin would be the only (serious) minus. And we would probably have to scrap the visit to Corpus Christi in order to avoid spending the entire vacation sitting in a car. But, as you say, Big Bend surely has much more to offer than CC. Especially since we have plenty of beaches at home, although neither as warm nor as big as the ones in Texas. “Everything’s bigger in Texas.”




Hmmm... what about Zilcher Park for a dip in Barton Springs? Chilly for my tastes, but being from Denmark and all....





And of course you meant to put Sixth Street on your list, right? Right?





Hope you have a great trip!


  • mask work
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment