Friday, April 9, 2010

How to get to Galveston?

We are considering a cruise from Galveston but I cannot figure out how to get there. Is flying into Houston our only option?



How to get to Galveston?


that%26#39;s your best option in my opinion as i%26#39;m pretty sure Galveston doesn%26#39;t have an airport. i believe they have buses/shuttles that run from the airport to Galveston....just a quick jaunt down I-45.....but i%26#39;m sure a local can give you better info.



How to get to Galveston?


Yes, unless you have a private plane, Houston is your only option. Hobby airport (HOU) is the largest airport to Galveston. Some Continental flights, I think, fly into Ellington Field (EFD), which is a little bit closer to Galveston.



Best airline probably will be Southwest Airlines into Hobby (HOU).




Thanks for the quick replies. Now to get from the airport to the port of Galveston?Ideas?




You might do a search on previous posters, there have been alot in the past. I think it is Enterprise that has a one-way cruise deal if you want to rent a car. It is about 45 minutes - 1 hour to drive one direction, depending on traffic from Hobby airport. Ezcruiseconnection.com I think is another one.



You might also find some information at galveston.com for shuttle services.





Happy cruising!!




Not sure what airline you are planning to take - Southwest flies into Hobby which is the closest. Continental Express no longer flies into Ellington.




We are flying into IAH and renting a car from Enterprise- one way. (Remember your Entertainment book coupon!)





We are renting from Budget for the return, one way trip. Enterprise had none available.





This was much cheaper than the shuttle and we have the car to go shopping, etc on our own time.





I phoned the rental companies a few times. At first they had no cars available and then when I had one reserved I called back a couple of times in the following 2 weeks to check the price. Sure enough it dropped and we got a great deal.




Fly to Houston and take 45 South til it runs out and you are in Galveston. No way to get lost, and no way to fly to Galveston directly unless your loaded and in that case someone else would be planning it for you, lol.




Just back and it was easy!





We flew into IAH (although next time I will try to get Hobby if it is direct flight- not worth it if we have to transfer and take another plane) and picked up our one way rental car there.





The road system there is amazing! It was so easy and quick I couldn%26#39;t imagine anything simpler.





We stayed near Baybrook Mall so I could shop the next day and it was quick and easy to get to.





We drove in the next day and that was simple too. The car rental place had a shuttle so we dropped our keys off and we were dropped right at the cruise ship door.





Getting back to the airport was even easier since it was daylight and we knew the exits to take for all the good shopping places I wanted to revisist!




You would have to fly into Hobby which is Hou and it is quicker. However, getting to Galveston is a pian in the neck. The shuttle people will price gouge you at 200 dollars a pop and super shuttle just started there and so they do not recognize Galveston to be a hub for the cruise ships. So do not bother I tried. My cruise is in September and I probably will never cruise out of Galveston again. I just want to avoid Texas like the plaugue. Because the transportation is not good unless you rent a car. In my case I do not drive. So I am up a creek without a paddle.





Good Luck




Did you try the galveston.com website? I started there when I was reffered to it on this forum and the shuttles on there were around $60 or so. We rented a car because it was only a little more money and gave us the freedom.





We were worried because Houston was so big, but the roads were wide, clear and easy to navigate. So many easy ways to correct any off ramp mistakes you make!





If anyone does rent a car- both companies we used were very helpful with directions and maps. They pointed out that routes looked shorter but had construction or not as many lanes to use. They also pointed out the ones that had tolls, etc.





By far, the easiest city we have ever had to manouver in.

No comments:

Post a Comment