Tuesday, March 30, 2010

great place to eat near Fair Park (with Kids!)

We are going to see WICKED in April at the Music Hall at Fair Park. Where is a good place to eat nearby that would be appropriate for children? Thanks!



great place to eat near Fair Park (with Kids!)


Can%26#39;t recommend anything in Fair Park. What do y%26#39;all like to eat? We%26#39;ll have to find something w/in driving distance.



great place to eat near Fair Park (with Kids!)


I would suggest the Knox-Henderson area for a restaurant choice. Knox-Henderson is on Central I-75 about 15 minutes from Fair Park. There are at least 20 - 30 restaurants within 2-3 blocks of I-75 and you%26#39;re sure to find something you like. It%26#39;s easy to get off and on the freeway here and not much chance of getting lost enroute from the restaurant to Fair Park.





By the way, when you get to the Music Hall absolutely take the headset option, no matter how good you think your seats are. The acoustics there are the worst I%26#39;ve ever heard and you will not enjoy the music with your naked ear unless you%26#39;re totally tone deaf and don%26#39;t mind music sounding muffled..





There are lots of choices that would be great for kids in Knox-Henderson. Chuy%26#39;s is fun if you like Tex-Mex. For Indian the Roti Grill is a similar system as Pei Wei where you pick your meat/veggies and type sauce (it%26#39;s really good and pretty reasonable). Fadi%26#39;s Mediterrean is a middle-eastern cafeteria style restaurant, but with much more interesting choices than most cafeterias.





Be sure to get to a restaurant no later than 6 PM and tell the server you have to be out no later than 7:30.





http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2742146-dallas_restaurants-i-nhood-knox+henderson




Fair Park not in the best part of town. The Knox-Henderson area(from reply above) definately a good choice. Not far from McKinney Ave. where you%26#39;ll find more upscale eateries. Hard Rock, Truluck%26#39;s, etc.




I agree with all of the above....Fair Park is not somewhere you want to just ';stroll around'; looking for a restaurant....Try the West Village or The West End (Touristy)




The Old Mill Inn Restaurant in on the grounds of Fair Park and I believe close to the Music Hall. I have heard it is a really nice restaurant but I have not had the pleasure to eat there. I have provided a link below to the Fair Park website. The restaurant phone number (according to the website) is 214-426-4600.





While you are at FairPark check out the BODYWORLDS exhibit. It is really fascinating. You may need to get advance tickets as they are spreading out the crowds by issuing specific-time tickets. I feel like the opportunity to view the Bodyworlds exhibit is one of the most privileged things I have ever done.







dallascityhall.com/html/fair_park_faqs.html





Parking is often free inside Fair Park. Do not park outside the parameter fence. Find out which gate number you need to enter to get to the Music Hall and you will be able to park very close to the Music Hall. Otherwise, it will be a very, very, very long awful walk.




Don%26#39;t worry...there%26#39;s excellent signage to get to the Music Hall and it%26#39;s adjacent parking lot. Just look for all the construction - where they%26#39;re putting in the Dart Train, Music Hall is right there....I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;ll still be torn up in April.



I think the Old Mill closes after lunch. I%26#39;ve never heard of anyone eating there despite ALL the signs they have around Fair Park. It%26#39;s ';home cooking'; and looks extremely casual.




travelingcowgirl - While my husband enjoyed the Bodyworlds exhibit a whole lot, I%26#39;m not sure about taking kids! LOL. The OP has kids (ages unpecified). My kids would have nightmares for months about that kind of thing.




The Old Mill Inn is fairly good in a standard sort of way. Usually only opens for lunch, except during the State Fair. I%26#39;ve eaten there often when we used to skate at the park (which we haven%26#39;t done in several years--my boys outgrew it and I don%26#39;t like going by myself), and we%26#39;ve used it several times for our annual fundraiser for the Boys %26amp; Girls Club. The menu is pretty standard fried chicken tenders, roast beef, meat loaf types of entrees and not too interesting vegetables.





I still think Chuy%26#39;s or On the Border in Knox-Henderson would be your best bet with the kids.




I agree with Owl - I think Bodyworlds is recommended for 4th grade and up. Do check it out on-line before you purchase tix to see if it appropriate for your children, Kate (if you%26#39;re still checking on your post).



And I have to go with Chrystin on Chuy%26#39;s...it become one of our fave places to go with our kids. It%26#39;s just easy Tex-Mex and they have someone making tortillas near the bar/waiting area.




Regarding BODYWORLDS:



I knew a little girl who grew up and became a plastic surgeon. She would have loved this exhibit. It may be good to expose children to really good scientific exhibits. This exhibit could be an inspiration that is not often available to the public. I personally would take the risk to go to this exhibit and then leave if the children are disturbed by the exhibit. I saw several children in the exhibit when I was there and they all seemed to being enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment